Thoughts on Love and Sacrifice

I've had these thoughts in my head for a while, mainly because for the past few years I have been involved in various Catholic events and social groups which have involved campaigning, debates and get together, one thing I've learnt  is permanent change is slow and sure, never lose hope when things go bad, God's time is the best.

The reason why I bring this up is because I recently took part in a Prolife campaign and I found it quite eventful and thought provoking

The prolife debate has been for many years an ongoing battle, many prochoicers hate the fact that we provide other alternatives other than the stuffed- in -our- throats -only- way-is-abortion view. They go crazy when they see prolife leaflets and could even go as far as collecting them from passers-by and ripping them off. They get angry and call us all sorts of names, stressing the point that we are a minority and not so significant.  Hmm.. I'm just wondering, if we are so insignificant, why are they bothered about us? why does our presence cause them shivers? why does it irk them? when reactions like this happen, then you know you're making an impact! I think it could be the fear that people would start thinking about it and would actually realise the evil of abortion. The media has done enough to cover up this wicked act.

While we were handing out leaflets outside a university campus one day, a girl walked up to us and said we were doing something horrible, judging the girls who have had and making them feel bad. We explained to her that this was not our intention but truth must be told. She asked how they were supposed to feel which was kind of their point of attack; that we were judging them. To answer her question, one could say that such girls should always know God never hates the sinner but the sin and He always forgives. They should feel remorse for the act but hope that because God has forgiven them, they could start anew.

I think the reason many people fight and hate the prolife movement is for the following reasons:

1. If someone says life begins at conception,then condoms, birth control pills and contraceptives kill the child or the act of creating a baby.
2.If birth control pills and contraceptives kill the child, then one is saying that one can't have protected sex
3. If one cant have protected sex, then one has to have unprotected sex.
4. Unprotected sex means vulnerability to pregnancy and other  sexually transmitted Infections
5.No one wants/ is ready for that so one would narrow down his/her sex partners drastically- probably to one and the at-the-right-time/ with the right person/ till Marriage  factor comes into play.
6.waiting for the right person/not having sex means abstinence
7. Abstinence is "not cool"
8. An abstinent lifestyle does not suit, its at the other end of the pole!

I think this could be applied to many Christians (and probably me) today. We pick and choose what faith suits us and how we want to follow God, not how God wants us to follow Him and that's why there are so many churches today. The "me and my bible" theory is the easiest way to live!

If I interpret the Bible the way I want (probably confusing it for the voice of the Holy Spirit), I can be happy doing whatever I like because its my interpretation that counts. Therefore, if I want to steal/ have sex today, I can interpret that God just wants me to believe that these are sins but not actually act what I believe. So once I believe Jesus is my Lord and Saviour, I can steal anyhow I want because my faith is sufficient for me, whether I confess my sin, whether I am sorry or not.

Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (Matt 16:24 Douay Rheims Version)

And whosoever doth not carry his cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple. (Lk 14:27 DRB )

We lack proper love for God and that's why we form churches for ourselves. We cant bare to sacrifice our

greatest pleasures for Him. The pleasures of the world we love too much so we

interpret the bible the way we want.

Some might say "well, how are you sure the fore fathers who interpreted the bible and taught

the faith could be trusted or followed, how are you sure their interpretation is not clouded?"

For the fact that they are closer to the original teachings and interpretation (probably 80-100

percent accurate) even in years, don't we think they are the closest interpretations to the truth?



I'm not trying to judge because its God who sees the heart and knows the genuine but lets pray

for God to help us see his word for what it is and not what we want it to be.




Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, Nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Spirit of our God(1 Cor 6).





Comments