Information (Don't be afraid to change)

Sometimes I'm scared of knowing because when you know you probably don't have an excuse unlike someone who knows nothing at all...

At the same time when you know, you're certain of your actions.

I still have much to learn about the faith, I'm a struggling young person who lost my way and found it through information.

There are many things we might not understand and as a result we find ourselves straying away or not being bothered about it. Sometimes we are scared to find out because the new information we have might demand more from our actions. I think that could be a reason why many are afraid to know the teachings of the church because it expects one to act accordingly. For instance I was very moved when I watched the Passion of the Christ, it made me feel like an ungrateful sinner and I promised to change my sinful ways (actions speak louder than words). I had a friend then who said she did not want to watch it because she did not want to change (at least she was honest).  

Why do we find it scary to change?

I think we are afraid to change or become holy because we are afraid we would be alienated from society, few friends etc. well, maybe getting closer to God is worth it? besides I doubt those who leave you because you're practicing your faith were friends in the first place.

We might also find it hard to change because we might not want to give up old bad habits and weaknesses, life might become boring without them, I think this is the hardest thing to do and can sometimes make one depressed but I guess we could try to find new good ones? I know, easier said than done but worth trying.

One might think that he/she has strayed so much that he/she cannot be forgiven by God, don't despair, there's always hope! and God forgives even the worst person in the world.  St. Peter denied Him three times- he's holding the keys to heaven, St. Mary Magdalene was  known to be promiscuous- she was one of the first to see the resurrected Lord. Once we are ready to change the angels and saints are very happy and more than willing to help, just pray for help.


Looking at the pros and cons of converting to a Christian life In my opinion should be good enough for us to change and that's why we need to inform ourselves.

Also, won't it be boring if only we knew? we could tell others too?  one doesn't have to go on the streets with a preaching bell to get people closer to God, a simple explanation of why you go to mass on Sunday, Confession once in a while or inviting a friend to church are simple ways to keep people informed. Most times people probably act the way they do because they don't know so when they get informed, they have a choice. 

I think as Catholics the best thing we can do is to  let people know. We learn our faith, understand it and explain it to those who don't know or understand. One can't really change a person but one can influence the person to change. At the end of the day its the decisions we make that determine our actions and where we end up when we leave this world.

Change also takes time and is a gradual process. I don't think anything natural and lasting is rushed because it is a thorough and total conversion we are moving towards. So it doesn't matter if you told someone that something was a sin and he/she hurled curses at you, what matters is that he/she is informed and by the grace of God would think about it and hopefully change, the person might even become better than what anyone expected.

Hope this inspires people to want to change for the better, like I said I don't know much and my posts should be taken as a matter of opinion. Its a medium to hope that through this information one would try to find out for him/herself about the faith from traditional sources and Christian teaching. 

 I truly hope and pray we all reach total conversion before we move to the next world. 

So we hope, so may it be.



Comments